Read the “Numbers Can be Worth a Thousand Pictures: Individual Differences in Understanding Graphical and Numerical Representations of Health-Related Information” article prior to answering. Informed decision making in the mental health and medical professions requires the ability to understand and effectively communicate statistical information. For this discussion, address the following in your post:
- Select one mental health disorder of your choice based on a valid diagnostic category in the DSM-5.
- Research the disorder and locate relevant statistics obtained within the past 7 years regarding overall prevalence, gender and age differences, and treatment options.
- Present this information in the discussion forum in two formats: Format 1 for individuals with high graph literacy; Format 2: for individuals with low graphic literacy but high numerical literacy. Information regarding each of these two formats is discussed in the assigned article.
- Be sure to include your references in your discussion post, that are formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
Guided Response: Review several of your classmates’ posts. Provide a substantive response to at least two of your peers. In your response, address the following points, which are based on the descriptions in the article by Gaissmaier, et. al, (2012):
- How effectively did your peers present the data? Ask clarification questions for any information presented that is unclear.
- What did you learn from the ways in which your classmates reported their data that you had not considered?