New and exciting Business And Society – Assignment 1 profile
Assignment 1: Forces and Public Issues in Industry
In this module we explored business, government, and society as an interrelated system made up of primary and secondary stakeholders. In additional to stakeholder forces, we also introduced some of the broader forces influencing this system. In this assignment, you will demonstrate your understanding of stakeholder relationships and influences (including that of government and the media) on industry and public issues.
This assignment will comprise 15% of your total course mark. Part A is a case study on land development, and Part B is a report on public issues relating to the tobacco industry. Each question carries the marks as stated for a total of 100 marks.
Part A: A Brawl in Mickey’s Backyard
Read the Discussion Case, “A Brawl in Mickey’s Backyard,” on pages 22–23 of your textbook.
· Question 1: In a chart, diagram, or paragraph form, identify the primary and secondary (or market and nonmarket) stakeholder groups influencing or influenced by SunCal’s plans to develop a 26-acre site in the resort district. (5 marks)
· Question 2: Explain why each stakeholder group identified in question 1 is in favour of, or opposed to, SunCal’s plans to build condominiums in the resort district. (15 marks)
· Question 3: Identify possible solutions to this dispute that might emerge if SunCal was to work collaboratively with its stakeholders to address their concerns. (10 marks)
Part B: The Tobacco Industry
The tobacco industry is constantly in the media. Choose one or more public issue(s) relating to the tobacco industry (banning of smoking in public places, secondary smoke health issues, controls on tobacco advertising and corporate sponsorship, youth or women as a tobacco industry target markets, etc.) Write a 2500-word double-spaced report containing the following:
· Section 1. Context: Introduce the issue(s) you have selected and list primary and secondary stakeholders influencing or influenced by this issue(s). Be specific in naming individuals, groups, associations, and/or government bodies and describe these stakeholders’ roles. (15 marks)
· Section 2. What does this mean to my family? Identify your own stakeholder role(s) in relation to the tobacco industry and cigarette smoking in our society. Describe the biases, perspectives, or experiences that may influence your position on this public issue. (10 marks)
Note: There is no right or wrong perspective, but it is important to recognize your own stakeholder positions and how they influence your perspectives.
· Section 3. What does this mean to my company? Imagine yourself as a tobacco industry executive and describe management of the public issue(s) from this perspective. (15 marks)
· Section 4. What does this mean to my country? Discuss the role(s) of government in this issue(s) and how it is influencing both the industry and the public. (15 marks)
· Section 5. Media impact: Describe the media’s role in this issue(s) and the perspective it is presenting to the public. Discuss both industry-sponsored media communications, as well as government communications and reporting in the popular press. Cite specific examples using references. (15 marks)
· Submit your assignment by WebCT mail. Be sure to save your assignment as a Word document and name it BBUS_3031_Module_1_Assignment.
· Did you scan the document for viruses?
· Did you complete all the required elements?
· Did you use information and terminology learned in this course?
· Did you support your statements with specific examples and external resources?
· Did you cite references, using correct referencing format?
· Is your report grammatically correct, clear, and well organized?
· Did you demonstrate your ability to evaluate sources of information?
· Send your assignment to your Open Learning faculty member.